Sunday, November 27, 2016

Art show entries are designed by sadists!!!




Intertwined
I've just spent ages resizing and relabeling and reresizing and rerelabelling images for entry to an art show and I'm convinced that the people that organize these things are sadists!!
And I still havn't got the first image successfully and correctly up on the entry website.

Why do they   torture us so???  D'you think they enjoy it??? I'm beginning  to wonder.......

Labeling.
This particular show wants the images labeled - not only with the name of the piece, but also with its width and height...furthermore,  there have to be little underscores (not just a hyphen which much easier to do!!) between all the pieces of information.   I've encountered this before of course...and I remember in the old days one was trying to cram all that information on the edges of a little slide.
"Please label the slide with the name of  the piece, alternating between capitals and lower case, then underscore then give the height, width and depth in that order in both inches and centimetres then underscore then your name and the name of your grandmother underscore and your shoe size!!"
I suppose at least they said "please"!!

Sizing
Have you noticed - their entry system never reads the size of the piece in the same way that your computer's photo manipulation program does?   I think those entry websites just randomly decide when they will reject your image in terms of size.
And they do it in a different way each time!  You can have two images your computer describes as 5 megabytes, whereas their website will consider one to be 3.7 mb and  the other is 6.1!!!


More sizing problems
The show I'm trying to enter is an all media show.....my 6mb image was rejected...."you can only have 5 mb for your piece"...but if I was entering a video I could have 250 mb!!!!
Hmm maybe I could just walk around my quilt and take a little video of it - aha! then my sizing problems would be over!!!

Number of entries
The show request three entries...with a full and detail image of both.
BUT the entry website only permits 3 images!!! 
Of course if I entered by video, I could walk around my piece and the suddenly zoom in to get the detail shot....!!!!

There was a Help link.
So I clicked on that and gave them ALL my info, yes...including the fact that my grandmother liked a particular brand of tea...only to be lead to a page that said:
Select the answer to your problem from the following possibilities!!!!

D'you think the fates are telling me  that I shouldn't enter this show???
and! I get to pay $45 for this privilege...hmm maybe the problem is my masochism not their sadism!!

I think a nice cuppa tea is called for, don't you?
If you have been, thanks for reading!!  Elizabeth
PS This was not a SAQA show which by contrast was beautifully straight forward.
PPS.  I decided in the end that the Fates were right!


 Quilts related to the one at the top...

Remembered Lines approx 7ft wide - Quilt National a few years back

Black and White, No Grey   38"w, 53"h

























11 comments:

Melanie McNeil said...

It is still early (10:50 am CT) so yes, a cuppa... If it were later it might call for something stronger!

I haven't experienced this but it sounds highly frustrating. I could relate stories about health insurance that would sound quite similar!

Oatty said...

I used to enter many shows every year. It got to be that I had to do paperwork 3or4 days a week! I really would rather quilt! So you do have to decide what's more important. I only enter 2 or 3 shows a year, and local ones that I can deliver quilts my self. Fewer hassles, less paperwork but less prize money. Certainly having more fun quilting! And a room full of finished quilts!

Patty said...

I used to enter many shows every year. It got to be that I had to do paperwork 3or4 days a week! I really would rather quilt! So you do have to decide what's more important. I only enter 2 or 3 shows a year, and local ones that I can deliver quilts my self. Fewer hassles, less paperwork but less prize money. Certainly having more fun quilting! And a room full of finished quilts!

Elizabeth Barton said...

Oh yes - health insurance!!! where the fence posts keep moving all the time - and drug costs...you just have to hold your nose and say "well it's the modern equivalent of blood letting!"
I think you're right Patty - keep it to just a very few shows - and the local ones - especially the all media ones - are the most important.

pat said...

GORGEOUS piece! What is the size please?

Elizabeth Barton said...

Thanks Pat! I really don't remember the size...it was a commissioned piece some time ago and I thought it reflected how I felt all twined up! However I did have two related pieces....- thought you might be interested. I put them up at the end of the blog with their sizes.

Elsie Montgomery said...

Making much of the sizes seems to be all about the size of their hard drive and where to hang them (I suppose) which is hardly fair since we quilters think the important thing is the artistic quality, tones, color, value, contrast, movement, creativity, and so on. Sigh!

If I were a quilt show judge... all three are prize winners.

Jeanne Aird said...

Great quilts, very graphically strong. I also find entering shows or even trying to get a photo printed to fabric on Spoonflower very frustrating. It just shouldn't be that difficult.

Jeanne Aird said...

Great quilts, very graphically strong. I also find entering shows or even trying to get a photo printed to fabric on Spoonflower very frustrating. It just shouldn't be that difficult.

The Idaho Beauty said...

Oh I empathize. Those shows should have to read this blog post which for all its angst made me laugh! Yours is a common complaint and I do sometimes wonder if they purposely make it difficult to impossible as a first screening so they have fewer entries to deal with. Weed out the faint of heart or easily frustrated or technologically challenged!. I remember the days of submitting slides btw - its own challenge.

Love this group of quilts. So graphic and I so like the intertwining.

Elizabeth Barton said...

Thank you Jeanne, and Elsie (hi! Elsie!!) and Idaho Beauty - I do appreciate your comments....
the only thing to do with some of these frustrations is laugh...and volunteer to be part of setting up entry systems for shows. I did that once and was able to get the "time to notification" reduced significantly so that there was no overlap with another major local art show.....though of course someone is always moving the goal posts in this arena!!
Glad you like the black and white quilts! I really love working in black and white.
Intertwined was a commission, Remembered Lines was in Quilt National and sold right out of the show, Black and White No Grey is still available though...and I do have a piano fund I'm working on, so all reasonable offers are considered!!!!