Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Mile High Workshop

I just returned from a super week in Denver, Colorado.  One of the best things about being an (occasional!) workshop teacher is that I get to visit really interesting places (I’m afraid there’s no point in inviting me to Boondocksville, Nowhere Land!).  I’d never seen very much of the USA before I started teaching and it’s exciting to have several new places on my list this year.  First up was Denver, Co which has a giant league of quilters – 300 art quilters.  Members attend meetings from as far away as Montana and Wyoming – now that’s dedication!

denver dawn

This was the view outside my hotel window the first day of class.  What a perfect color scheme of cobalt, amber, pink, grey and black with even a little touch of an apple green.

 

 

 

 

 

 

denver carpark012 004

 

Even the car parks have a glorious view in Denver…this is the scene as we drove up to the venue, a huge beautiful church hall.

 

 

 

 

 

The workshop was Working in a Series – here am I in full spate expostulating as is my wont!

EBarton and group Notice, nobody is asleep….yet!

EBarton and JHerman

Describing something to Jean Herman who is working on a large cityscape….below Gay Lasher was cutting out strips for her series on Conversations.

GLasher piecing

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

PJoy describes process

 

 

 

 

while Patti Joy talks about how she’s going to resize her series of 3 pieces based on a visit to island of Lewis in Scotland.

And below is the sculpture of a happy quiltmaker! yahoo!

It is outside the new and absolutely stunning Clyfford Still museum which I had the great good fortune of visiting after the workshop – thanks to a lovely lady in the group! 

denver dancer

 

 

 

This is a view of the inside of the museum – fabulous, rich and spare, complex and simple and oh so generous in spirit!

denver 2012 010

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

What a great trip! Thank you so much to the Front Range Contemporary Quilters for inviting me to visit your beautiful city – and – for arranging for me to spend time with so many of you.

and now I’m back home…until the AQE/SAQA/SDA opening and conference in Philadelphia – more great inspiration I’m sure.   See you there!  Elizabeth

workshop photos courtesy of Linda Strand, Exhibits Chair, Front Range Contemporary Quilters, thank you, Linda!

No comments: